Ashwagandha helps to reduce blood sugar, fights depression, reduces cholesterol and cortisol levels. It also helps to combat cancer, anxiety, stress, inflammation, improves fertility levels in men and increases muscle strength. Ashwagandha is also ideal for boosting the testosterone level of men which results in a high sex drive.
Health Benefits of Ashwagandha :
- Ashwagandha is helpful in reducing blood sugar levels : According to sources, Ashwagandha has been said to help with diabetes. It improves the sensitivity of insulin in muscle cells and increases insulin secretions. Blood sugar levels for people not suffering from diabetes can also be reduced. Some people who have schizophrenia keep getting attacks even with the least amount trigger. Ashwagandha can relieve these attacks due to the rapid reduction in fasting blood sugar levels. Many people also use this herb as a substitute for diabetes medicine.
- Helps to combat cancer : It has been proved that Ashwagandha helps to induced ‘programmed death of cells’ or apoptosis, in case of cancer cells. It can also slow down the growth of new cancer cells to some extent. It can also be helpful to treat different types of cancers like ovarian, brain, colon, lung and breast cancer. Intake of Ashwagandha can also prevent metastasis (spread of the cancer cells to different organs of the body).
- Reduces Cortisol levels : Cortisol is a stress hormone which is released during stress and when blood sugar levels start reducing rapidly. For some people cortisol levels in their bodies are chronically high which in turn leads to extremely high blood sugar level and increases the level of fat storage in the abdomen. In such cases, Ashwagandha can help to reduce the cortisol level and bring it down to normal.
- Helps to reduce anxiety and stress : Stress is usually inevitable and can occur at any time, but it can be controlled and reduced if certain methods are applied. Consuming Ashwagandha regularly at least once a day, can help make a huge difference in our lives. It can reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety easily and help our brains to become more relaxed. People who have anxiety disorders or mental health conditions can also consume Ashwagandha to relieve the symptoms. Depression can also be kept at bay by consuming it daily.
- Increases fertility and boosts testosterone : Consuming Ashwagandha in the powdered form or taking supplements of the same can improve the reproductive health of men. It has also been proven to increase the sex drive, sperm count and motility. Couples trying to conceive should definitely try Ashwagandha for a better chance at conception. This usually works because Ashwagandha increases the antioxidant levels in blood. Sperm quality is also greatly affected due to consumption of Ashwagandha on a regular basis.
- Increases strength and muscle mass : Research shows that Ashwagandha increases strength by improving the body composition of a person. People who want to lose fat also consume Ashwagandha quite often. This in turns promotes muscle gain in both men and women.
- Ashwagandha reduces inflammation : Ashwagandha increases the immunity of the cells which make you stay healthy by fighting infection. It also decreases components which trigger inflammation like C-reactive protein (CRP). Thus, the possibility of developing a heart disease is generally reduced.